August 29, 2023
SCPH Media Contact Phone Number: (330) 812-3700
Please Remember: Do Not Eat Wild Mushrooms
Summit County, Ohio – Summit County Public Health (SCPH) would like to remind residents as damp weather continues wild mushrooms will start to show up in yards and landscapes throughout Summit County. Please remember it is not safe to eat wild mushrooms as some varieties of wild mushrooms in Ohio are very poisonous and if eaten can make the individual very sick, or can even be deadly. As a rule, stay away from wild mushrooms and make sure to keep children and pets away.
If you find wild mushrooms in your yard:
- Do not consume the mushrooms; they can be deadly.
- Carefully disposing of wild mushrooms will likely help stop the spread.
- Remove the mushroom from the ground as soon as you see the cap.
- Put the mushroom in a plastic bag, tie the bag up tightly, and throw away the bag in the trash can.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
If you or anyone in your household ingests a wild mushroom and starts feeling sick, please seek medical attention immediately.