I want to build/install a shed.

A Residential Construction Application is required for all new home construction projects, including but not limited to, pools, gazebos, decks, additions, accessory buildings, such as garages and sheds, and accessory uses, such as greenhouses.

Steps to Obtaining a Residential Construction Permit

  1. Determine your Zoning District.
  2. Determine your required structure setbacks. If you are a Corner Lot, you will have (2) front-yard setbacks, (1) rear-yard setback and (1) side yard setback. To determine the setbacks on a Corner Lot, the rear yard shall be considered as parallel to the street upon which the lot has its least dimension. On both corner lots and interior lots, the rear yard shall be, in all cases, at the opposite end of the lot from the front yard.
  3. An accessory building attached to the principal building on a lot, shall be made structurally a part thereof, and shall comply in all respects with the requirements of these regulations applicable to the principal building. An accessory residential building which is not a part of the main building shall not be located closer than fifteen (15) feet from the main building and shall be located entirely to the rear of the main building and shall not be located closer than five (5) feet from the rear and side lot lines. The foundation area of an accessory building shall not exceed 450 square feet. One accessory building shall be permitted per lot, not including any free-standing garage that has been approved.
  4. Provide a plot drawing showing your structure with the required setbacks indicated on the drawing. The drawing can be professional or hand-written. When indicating setbacks, please measure to the proposed structure.
  5. If you utilize a septic system, approval from Summit County Public Health is required prior to permit issuance. The application can be found online.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER: A Building Permit from the Summit County Building Department is required. Contact the Summit County Building Department for information regarding Summit County standards and permitting requirements. Additionally, we recommend that you review Home Owner Association standards and/or Deed Restrictions where applicable.

Show All Answers

1. How do I determine my Zoning District?
2. I want to build a new home.
3. I want to build a deck.
4. I want to build/enlarge my garage.
5. I want to build/install a shed.
6. I want to install a swimming pool.
7. I want to install a fence.
8. I want to add/replace: shingles, windows, siding, HVAC, plumbing, hot water heaters
9. I want to remodel the interior of my home.
10. I want to operate a business out of my home.
11. Does the Township have a service to help maintain private properties?
12. Who do I contact if I believe there is a maintenance issue with a property?
13. What happens when I call about a violation?
14. Do I have to give my name when I call about a violation?
15. I live in a subdivision with a homeowner association (HOA), will the Code Enforcement Division enforce the association’s bylaws, subdivision restrictions, or deed restrictions?
16. Can I make an anonymous complaint?
17. I phoned in a complaint weeks ago. Why has nothing been done to the property?
18. What are some of the things that would be considered a violation?
19. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
20. What are Zoning Maps and standards
21. What is a Zoning Resolution?
22. Can I have Chickens?