I want to build a new home.

A Residential Construction Application is required for all new home construction projects, including but not limited to, pools, gazebos, decks, additions, accessory buildings, such as garages and sheds, and accessory uses, such as greenhouses.

Steps to Obtaining a Residential Construction Permit

  1. Determine your Zoning District.
  2. Determine your required structure setbacks based on your Zoning District. If you are a Corner Lot, you will have (2) front-yard setbacks, (1) rear-yard setback and (1) side yard setback. To determine the setbacks on a Corner Lot, the rear yard shall be considered as parallel to the street upon which the lot has its least dimension. On both corner lots and interior lots, the rear yard shall be, in all cases, at the opposite end of the lot from the front yard.
  3. Setback requirements in a platted subdivision may vary from the minimum requirements in the Zoning Resolution. If you are in a platted subdivision, please contact the Zoning Inspector for setback information.
  4. Provide a plot drawing showing your structure with the required setbacks indicated on the drawing. The drawing can be professional or hand-written. When indicating setbacks, please measure to the proposed construction.
  5. If you utilize a septic system, approval from Summit County Public Health is required prior to permit issuance. The application can be found online.
  6. If you are on a Township Road, you will need a Road Opening Permit from Copley Township. Please contact the Copley Township Service Department.
  7. Please contact Summit County for an Address Assignment Certificate.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER: A Building Permit from the Summit County Building Department is required. Contact the Summit County Building Department for information regarding Summit County standards and permitting requirements. Additionally, we recommend that you review Home Owner Association standards and/or Deed Restrictions where applicable.

Show All Answers

1. How do I determine my Zoning District?
2. I want to build a new home.
3. I want to build a deck.
4. I want to build/enlarge my garage.
5. I want to build/install a shed.
6. I want to install a swimming pool.
7. I want to install a fence.
8. I want to add/replace: shingles, windows, siding, HVAC, plumbing, hot water heaters
9. I want to remodel the interior of my home.
10. I want to operate a business out of my home.
11. Does the Township have a service to help maintain private properties?
12. Who do I contact if I believe there is a maintenance issue with a property?
13. What happens when I call about a violation?
14. Do I have to give my name when I call about a violation?
15. I live in a subdivision with a homeowner association (HOA), will the Code Enforcement Division enforce the association’s bylaws, subdivision restrictions, or deed restrictions?
16. Can I make an anonymous complaint?
17. I phoned in a complaint weeks ago. Why has nothing been done to the property?
18. What are some of the things that would be considered a violation?
19. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
20. What are Zoning Maps and standards
21. What is a Zoning Resolution?
22. Can I have Chickens?